The summer is heating up in Southern California. June Gloom is on the way out and with July 4th weekend less than a week away it is time to pack up the car and head to the beach. Here are Joor Muffler and Auto Repair’s 5 Quick Tips that will help both you and your car survive the sun and fun.
- Summer Maintenance for the Car: Before taking any road trip remember to check your tire pressure on all four tires and the spare tire. Make a service appointment to ensure your vehicle’s fluids and filters are fresh and that the air conditioner is working; doing so will safeguard both you and your car against overheating.
- Summer Maintenance for You: Make sure to make a list and check it twice before heading to the beach. Lots of sunscreen, water, snacks, towels and games will make your trip enjoyable and safe.
- Packing: When packing up the car remember to avoid overloading of the car. Overloading can cause view obstruction and added weight that will directly affect your gas mileage and your wallet. Make sure all children are fastened in approved child restraint systems with enough room to be comfortable.
- Beach Driving: If you are going to a part of the world that allows you to drive on the sandy beach make sure to point your vehicle’s wheels straight ahead when starting off. If you get stuck in the sand remember “reverse out”. First before trying to reverse out make sure to remove any sand buildup behind the tires or under the vehicle. Then GENTLY reverse on your own tracks and then try to SLOWLY move forward again. Moving too fast or spinning your wheels will leave you stuck in the sand.
- After the Fun in the Sun: A day at that beach can take its toll on you and the car. After you unpack remember to remove all traces of sand, dirt or salt from your vehicle both inside and out. When you hose down your vehicle don’t forget the little nooks and crannies where sand can be hidden i.e. wheel wells, mud flaps and the undercarriage. After you are done hosing off the vehicle head into the house to clean up with a cool shower, hydrate with some ice water, relax and soak up all the fun beach memories.
What are your summer beach trip tips?